You can keep yer mac-n-cheese.
I had roasted some bell peppers from the farmshare and put them in the fridge for later use. We ended up making a roasted red pepper sauce. However, because red + yellow = orange, it actually looked even more like a fancy mac-n-cheese than a red pepper sauce.
It was quick and easy too if you either have recently roasted peppers and stuck them in your fridge, or if you just buy a jar of roasted sweet peppers.
Rotini with Roasted Pepper Sauce
- Two good-sized roasted bell peppers, or one 14 oz. jar
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup butter (what? I didn’t say it was mind blowingly healthy!)
- 1/4 cup flour
- About a cup of milk
- Salt and pepper
- Rotini (or another pasta, as strikes your mood)
- Put the water on for the pasta.
- Toss the peppers in a blender (a food processor probably would work too, I don’t have one, so I use a blender) and blend until smooth.
- On the stove, melt the butter in a saucepan.
- When the butter is melted, add the flour and the garlic. Stir for about a minute – you want the flour to cook for the roux, but not burn.
- Add about a cup of milk and the peppers (I eyeball how much milk I want)
- O yeah, add some salt and pepper.
- Stir, until thickened, while the pasta finishes cooking.
- Mmmmm…..put the sauce over your pasta and enjoy!
Stuff from the box: peppers, garlic