I’m making squash and black bean empandas for dinner tonight.
Here’s my version of empanada dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup corn meal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup partially frozen butter (cut into small cubes, place them in the freezer until nearly frozen)
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup ice water
- 2 tablespoon vinegar
- In a large bowl sift together flour and salt.
Blend in the cold butter cubes using your fingers until the mixture resembles pea-sized coarse meal.
- Whisk egg, ice water and vinegar in a bowl.
- Gradually add to flour, stirring until just incorporated (you don’t want to over mix or it will be tough, it’ll end up a bit lumpy).
- Put on a lightly floured surface and bring dough together with your hands. Gently knead with your hand once or twice (just to bring the dough together – don’t overwork it!!).
- Form the dough in a semi-flat ball.
- Cover the dough tightly with plastic wrap. Chill for at least one hour (can be chilled for up to 8).